Actor Lee Jong-suk returning home after being stuck in Indonesia overnight

November 6, 2018

SEOUL, Nov. 6 (Yonhap) — Actor Lee Jong-suk has boarded a plane bound for South Korea after being stranded in Indonesia overnight, with the help of the South Korean Embassy there, his agency said Tuesday.

According to A-man Project, the actor and other Korean staff were held back in the country due to inept scheduling management by the Korean organizer, Yes24, of a meet-and-greet event there.

“We are sorry for causing concern for everyone involved due to his delayed return to Korea after his meeting with Indonesian fans. We are also taken aback by this unprecedented incident,” the company said in a statement.

This file photo shows actor Lee Jong-suk. (Yonhap)

This file photo shows actor Lee Jong-suk. (Yonhap)

His agency criticized the local branch of Yes24 for keeping changing its excuses for the delay.

According to the company, Yes24 first explained that its president had gone missing while in possession of the passports of the star and staff. It later changed that explanation, claiming that the president was taken into custody by Indonesian tax authorities over tax delinquency. Soon after, it reversed itself again, saying the local office failed to acquire a proper visa for the star.

While the exact circumstances surrounding the case remain fuzzy, A-man Project warned that it would hold the company accountable for the incident.

“We will take firm legal action against the Korean organizer and a local promotional agency for the incident … We sincerely apologize to the drama production company and Lee’s fans,” it said, referring to his new television series, temporarily titled “Romance Is a Bonus Book.”

The actor has been shooting for the drama, which is expected to air on tvN sometime in the first half of next year. And the actor, according to his agency, expressed concerns that his delayed return would have a negative impact on the shooting.

Lee arrived in Jakarta on Friday to meet his Indonesian fans the next day. He was supposed to fly back to Korea on Sunday, but was being held back because the local organizer didn’t return his passport.