- California Assembly OKs highest minimum wage in nation
- S. Korea unveils first graphic cigarette warnings
- US joins with South Korea, Japan in bid to deter North Korea
- LPGA golfer Chun In-gee finally back in action
- S. Korea won’t be top seed in final World Cup qualification round
- US men’s soccer misses 2nd straight Olympics
- US back on track in qualifying with 4-0 win over Guatemala
- High-intensity workout injuries spawn cottage industry
- CDC expands range of Zika mosquitoes into parts of Northeast
- Who knew? ‘The Walking Dead’ is helping families connect
‘Hwarang’ leads TV popularity chart over ‘Guardian’: data
SEOUL, Jan. 3 (Yonhap) — The costume drama series “Hwarang” overtook tvN’s “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God” to top a benchmark TV popularity chart in late December, data showed Tuesday.
“Hwarang,” which airs Mondays and Tuesdays on KBS 2TV, scored 292.4 points on the Content Power Index (CPI), becoming No. 1 among TV programs during the week of Dec. 19-25.
CPI, developed by entertainment company CJ E&M and media Nielsen Korea, measures TV shows’ popularity based on the number of views of related news stories, keyword searches and buzz on social media.
The period show, which began airing on Dec. 19, is about an elite group of young and handsome men and their tales of passion, love and friendship in the turmoil of the Silla Kingdom (57 B.C. – A.D. 935).
The drama is based on the actual Hwarang youth organization that existed and its young men who roamed the land to train themselves in the arts, culture and self-defense.
The show stars up-and-coming stars and idol singers, including Choi Min-ho of boy band SHINee and Kim Tae-hyung, or V, of the K-pop group Bangtan Boys.
tvN’s “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God,” slipped a notch to second place, with 282.9 points. SBS’ “Legend of the Blue Sea” and “Dr. Romantic” ranked third and fourth, respectively.
Among notable gainers, MBC’s “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo,” climbed 11 notches to rank seventh and SBS reality show “Mom’s Diary — My Ugly Duckling” also soared eight places to rank eighth. MBC’s Saturday comedy show “Infinite Challenge” fell eight notches to rank 10th.