- California Assembly OKs highest minimum wage in nation
- S. Korea unveils first graphic cigarette warnings
- US joins with South Korea, Japan in bid to deter North Korea
- LPGA golfer Chun In-gee finally back in action
- S. Korea won’t be top seed in final World Cup qualification round
- US men’s soccer misses 2nd straight Olympics
- US back on track in qualifying with 4-0 win over Guatemala
- High-intensity workout injuries spawn cottage industry
- CDC expands range of Zika mosquitoes into parts of Northeast
- Who knew? ‘The Walking Dead’ is helping families connect
Last chance to get your KTMF tickets!
By Tae Hong
With the 13th Korea Times Music Festival just two days away — that’s May 2, for those of you marking your calendars — here’s a little taste of what you’ll see live at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles this year.
Does TVXQ even need an introduction? Record holders, chart toppers, K-pop legends.
The former S.E.S. leader knows no bounds. This diva’s powerhouse vocals and unique sound have carried her through four solo albums and to the top of South Korea’s musical theater scene.
Watch out, “up, down, up, up, down” — the five bombshells are back with “Ah Yeah,” poised to carry on the sudden EXID craze that swept K-pop last year.
4. Kim Bum-soo
One of Korea’s most beloved balladers is also one of its best all-around performers.
South Korea can thank Cool, another legend of the ’90s, for a handful of its favorite songs to sing during the hottest months of the year. You’ll hear it again: “Wow, it’s summer!”
(Not familiar with Cool? K-pop fans will recognize the remake of one of its hits, “All For You,” by A Pink’s Jung Eun-ji and Seo In-guk from “Reply 1997.”)
6. A Pink
Bubblegum pink cute will always be OK in K-pop, and thanks to the six-member girl group, it continues well and alive.
JYP’s newest boy band is just as athletic, catchy and addicting as their predecessor, 2PM. The seven boys are set to perform in the U.S. for the first time ever at the Bowl.
8. Im Tae-kyung
One of South Korea’s most in-demand musical actors, Im never fails to blow away audiences.
9. Kim Soo-hee
Anyone who’s heard their mother sing along to “Southbound Train” at karaoke knows exactly who Kim is. If you don’t, get ready to hear one of Korea’s favorite trot singers from the ’80s work her magic.
10. Oh Seung-geun
Have you heard South Koreans’ favorite song to sing? Oh’s trot spectacular, “What About My Age,” topped the poll last year.
11. Kim Yon-ja
Referred to as Korea’s Queen of Enka, Kim made it big in Japan long before the K-pop stars of new. Her career has spanned 40 years.
11. Heejun Han
The Korean American is this years’ MC and an accomplished singer of his own, with both “American Idol” and “K-Pop Star” under his belt.