- California Assembly OKs highest minimum wage in nation
- S. Korea unveils first graphic cigarette warnings
- US joins with South Korea, Japan in bid to deter North Korea
- LPGA golfer Chun In-gee finally back in action
- S. Korea won’t be top seed in final World Cup qualification round
- US men’s soccer misses 2nd straight Olympics
- US back on track in qualifying with 4-0 win over Guatemala
- High-intensity workout injuries spawn cottage industry
- CDC expands range of Zika mosquitoes into parts of Northeast
- Who knew? ‘The Walking Dead’ is helping families connect
BTS’s new single lands on Billboard’s Bubbling Under Hot 100
SEOUL, Feb. 22 (Yonhap) — South Korean boy band BTS debuted at No. 15 on the U.S. Billboard’s Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart for its new single “Spring Day,” according to the chart company on Tuesday (local time).
In an article titled “BTS Crack the Bubbling Under Hot 100 With ‘Spring Day,’ Conquer Multiple Charts With ‘You Never Walk Alone’,” Billboard said the idol group has put its name on the chart to be updated next Saturday.
“Spring Day” is the title track of the group’s new album “Wings: You Never Walk Alone.”
The Bubbling Under Hot 100 acts as an extension of the 25 songs that have yet to chart on the definitive Hot 100 singles chart and are just below the top 100 slots. Like the main Hot 100 chart, rankings are based on sales, radio airplay and streaming data.
“The feat is truly unprecedented given K-pop’s history on Billboard’s singles chart,” Billboard’s Jeff Benjamin said in the article. “BTS’ Spring Day is almost all in Korean, had zero promotions in America, was released as new music during a notoriously competitive week with the 2017 Grammy Awards, and ‘Spring Day’ dropped on a Sunday, making their charting window smaller than other releases.”
He said “the accomplishment gives hope and acts as a guiding light to the burgeoning K-pop scene and indicates how Korean acts can continue making their mark on the American industry.”