- California Assembly OKs highest minimum wage in nation
- S. Korea unveils first graphic cigarette warnings
- US joins with South Korea, Japan in bid to deter North Korea
- LPGA golfer Chun In-gee finally back in action
- S. Korea won’t be top seed in final World Cup qualification round
- US men’s soccer misses 2nd straight Olympics
- US back on track in qualifying with 4-0 win over Guatemala
- High-intensity workout injuries spawn cottage industry
- CDC expands range of Zika mosquitoes into parts of Northeast
- Who knew? ‘The Walking Dead’ is helping families connect
Korean TV industry in shock as Jung Hyung-don announces halt to all activities
An announcement has shaken the television industry Thursday in Korea — popular comedian Jung Hyung-don will halt all activities due to his health.
FNC Entertainment, his agency, said through a press release that Jung is suffering from anxiety and will withdraw from all programs indefinitely.
The TV host is one of the nation’s most familiar faces across public and cable channels, from MBC’s “Infinite Challenge” to JTBC’s “Please Take Care Of My Refrigerator,” MBC Every1’s “Weekly Idol” and KBS’s “Our Neighborhood Variety Sports.”
“We apologize to all viewers who support Jung Hyung-don, show staff and talents for this sudden news,” FNC said. “He has suffered from anxiety problems that have worsened recently, and which make it difficult for him to host his shows. After talks with his co-stars, staff and the agency, he has decided on rest.”
FNC said Jung would focus on regaining his health.
Jung was admitted into a hospital in September for a week due to pneumonia.
Kim Tae-ho, the producing director of “Infinite Challenge,” told Korean outlet Star News in an interview that he will support Jung in rest and recovery.
Jung, who debuted as a KBS comedian, has been with the program — considered South Korea’s flagship variety show — since its beginning in 2005.
“He said he didn’t want to risk in hurting the program due to his health. I think his stability and happiness is a priority above all else, so I suggested he take a break,” Kim said.