CNBLUE’s Jung Yong-hwa quits TV show amid controversy over academic favor

January 18, 2018
This compilation of file photos show singer Jung Yong-hwa of CNBLUE and his handwritten letter of apology posted on his Instagram account on Jan. 17, 2018. (Yonhap)

This compilation of file photos show singer Jung Yong-hwa of CNBLUE and his handwritten letter of apology posted on his Instagram account on Jan. 17, 2018. (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Jan. 17 (Yonhap) — Jung Yong-hwa of the idol band CNBLUE will be leaving a cable TV show after the revelation that he received preferential treatment in graduate school admission, his agency said Wednesday.

“After much thought, Jung decided to voluntarily quit the program, feeling responsibility for today’s controversy and hoping the issue would not hurt the show, and delivered the decision to the show’s production team,” FNC Entertainment said in a release.

“We once again deeply apologize for disappointing so many viewers of the program as well as its cast and producers.”

Jung is one of the emcees for cable channel Olive TV’s new talk show “Talkmon” along with Kang Ho-dong. The decision was made only two days after the first episode of the show hit the air on Monday.

Earlier on Wednesday, a local media reported that the singer was recently investigated by police for being admitted to the doctorate course of a graduate school at Seoul’s Kyunghee University in 2016 without having an interview.

The singer confirmed the report and made a public apology for “causing trouble” on his Instagram account.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>