- California Assembly OKs highest minimum wage in nation
- S. Korea unveils first graphic cigarette warnings
- US joins with South Korea, Japan in bid to deter North Korea
- LPGA golfer Chun In-gee finally back in action
- S. Korea won’t be top seed in final World Cup qualification round
- US men’s soccer misses 2nd straight Olympics
- US back on track in qualifying with 4-0 win over Guatemala
- High-intensity workout injuries spawn cottage industry
- CDC expands range of Zika mosquitoes into parts of Northeast
- Who knew? ‘The Walking Dead’ is helping families connect
Actor Jung Il-woo enjoys popularity in Thailand
SEOUL, Jan. 13 (Yonhap) — South Korean actor Jung Il-woo is riding a wave of popularity in Thailand thanks to a local TV series starring him, the drama’s local PR agency said on Friday.
“Love and Lies,” which marks the first Thai drama starring a Korean actor as the main character, emerged as a local internet sensation in the first two episodes aired on Monday and Tuesday via Thai TV network “true4U,” the company Shall We Talk said.
Users of the channel’s mobile application and website have surged as well, up to 2.6 and 3 times higher than usual, respectively, signifying the spotlight and love the show is receiving.
Jung, playing the male lead Tim, displays a colorful acting spectrum as he portrays various sides of the cold yet romantic PR manager of an entertainment giant.
The actor, who enlisted in mandatory military service last year, is currently fulfilling his army duties.
All able-bodied South Korean men are subject to compulsory military service for about two years in a country that faces North Korea across a heavily fortified border.