U.S. agency announces official recall of Samsung Galaxy Note 7

September 15, 2016

WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 (Yonhap) — The U.S. consumer protection agency on Thursday announced an official recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones due to a battery problem.

“Samsung has received 92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S., including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage,” the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

“Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices purchased before September 15,” the agency said, advising consumers can receive a new Galaxy Note 7 with a different battery free of charge, a refund or a new replacement device.

Subject to the recall are about 1 million smartphones, it said.

Earlier this month, Samsung announced a global recall of the Note 7 smartphones as some of their batteries caught fire while being charged. Samsung also decided to replace all Note 7 smartphones sold to customers with new ones.

aen20160916000600315_01_i

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>